Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT)
CUY SR 176 - 10.13
Estimated Total Cost:
Proposed Source of Federal Funds:
ODOT initiated a pavement replacement project to address poor pavement conditions along SR-176 (Jennings Freeway), from the interchange with IR-480 to the interchange at Spring Road/Hinckley Parkway. This freeway provides a connection between IR-480 and IR-71. As part of the project, ODOT will address ongoing traffic congestion and safety issues at the system interchange between SR-176 and IR-480, which is complicated by local-access ramps for Granger Road and Brookpark Road. ODOT’s primary intent is to maintain the existing pavement limits, but modify the way the ramps between SR-176, IR-480 and the local roads converge.
The proposed improvements are primarily in terms of how the various ramps merge and weave, with some addition or relocation of barriers to separate specific movements, restriping of lanes and minor pavement widening where necessary. ODOT reports that there will be no new pavement added to any ramp. Nor will any new ramps be built. All proposed work would be within the existing right of way and on the existing pavement. The work is proposed for lane reconfigurations.
The proposed project at the interchange of SR-176 and IR-480 in Cleveland and the Village of Brooklyn Heights (location map and illustration) will include the following:
- Replacing the concrete pavement in the I-480/SR-176 interchange;
- Creating a new access point for SR-176 southbound (SB) to enter IR-480 eastbound (EB) sooner;
- Modifying legs entering SR-176 northbound (NB) such that one full lane enters from Brookpark Road (SR-17), IR-480 EB, and IR-480 westbound (WB) each; and
- Rebuilding the traffic signal at the ramp terminal at SR-17.
The project’s estimated total cost, provided by the sponsor, is $12,879,660. The estimated cost of preliminary engineering preliminary development (PEPD) is $654,700. The estimated cost of preliminary engineering detailed design (PEDD) is $224,960. The estimated cost of construction (C) is $12,000,000. The PEPD and PEDD will be funded with state funds. The C will be funded with $9,600,000 Federal and $2,400,000 state Multi-Lane/Major Rehabilitation funds.
Staff Comment (Summary):
- CONDITION: Implement enhanced wrong-way treatment at side-by-side ramp terminals at Brookpark Road.
- RECOMMENDATION: Consider using solar-powered traffic signs for additional emphasis.
Planning & Programming Committee:
- ODOT requested that the staff comment regarding the implementation of enhanced wrong-way treatment at side-by-side ramp terminals at Brookpark Road be changed from a condition to a recommendation. ODOT is concerned that, if the comment remains a condition, but ODOT is not able to implement this design element, they need the opportunity to continue with the project even if that design element cannot be achieved.
- Recommended for Planning & Programming Committee review.
- The Planning and Programming Committee recommended to revise staff conditional comments to a recommendation.
The Executive Committee reconsidered the Planning and Programming Committee’s recommendation to revise the staff conditional comments to a recommendation, and recommended a compromise of splitting the condition and moving the part that is too prescriptive to a “recommendation,” while leaving the safety component intact as a “condition”.
The recommended compromise is as follows:
• CONDITION: Implement enhanced wrong-way treatment at side-by-side ramp terminals at Brookpark Road.
• RECOMMENDATION: Consider using solar-powered traffic signs for additional emphasis.
Intergovernmental Review and Consultation (IGRC):