Estimated Total Cost: $485,000
Proposed Source of Federal Funds: NOACA and Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
History/Background: LAKETRAN’s fiscal year (FY) 2018 program is listed in the NOACA SFY 2018 – 2021 Transportation Improvement Program.
LAKETRAN’s program includes the following projects:
- LAK MARKET ST PARK & RIDE LOT PID 83102 - LAKETRAN’s program includes the expansion of an existing park and ride lot, located at Market Street and Munson Road, in Mentor. The project is programmed in SFY 2018 of the TIP. The Market Street park and ride lot expansion was grandfathered into the Statewide Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) program and the TIP. The estimated total cost of the park and ride lot expansion project is $485,000. The project is programmed with $388,000 in CMAQ funds. The non-Federal match ($97,000) is provided by LAKETRAN. Laketran has determined that the lot will not be expanded and this project is no longer needed.
Laketran has requested that the $388,000 in CMAQ funding currently programmed for the LAK MARKET ST PARK & RIDE LOT PID 83102 expansion be redirected toward the purchase of replacement MCI commuter buses under the LAKETRAN 2018 MCI COMMUTER BUSES PID 99122 project.
- LAKETRAN 2018 MCI COMMUTER BUSES PID 99122 - LAKETRAN’s program also includes the replacement of four (4) 40 - 45 foot commuter express buses purchased in 2004. According to Federal Transit Administration guidelines, these vehicles have exceeded their useful life of 12 years. A contract was awarded to Motor Coach Industries (MCI) for the purchase of these buses. The estimated total cost of the project is $2,546,900 ($636,725 per bus). The project is programmed with $636,725 in CMAQ funds, awarded through the Statewide CMAQ program. The non-Federal match ($1,910,175) is provided by LAKETRAN.
LAKETRAN has applied for funding through the Diesel Exhaust Reduction Grant (DERG) from the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). LAKETRAN continues to pursue CMAQ (Congestion Mitigation Air Quality) funding for future years for vehicle purchases of the paratransit vans and the commuter express buses.
Staff Comment (Summary):
Planning and Programming Committee:
- No comments; recommended for Planning and Programming Committee review.
- No comments; recommended for Executive Committee review.
Intergovernmental Review and Consultation (IGRC):
- No comments; recommended for Board of Directors' review.